Sunday, May 3, 2020

My worst nightmare

One survey found that 80% of people with PTSD suffered frequent nightmares, while only around 3% of people not suffering from PTSD experience regular nightmares. When people have experienced trauma, such as PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder), they will often have recurring nightmares replaying traumatic events they have experienced. Many people who do not suffer from PTSD also might experience a recurring nightmare. A nightmare that recurs can present a valuable opportunity for self-reflection and growth -- whether inspired by trauma or not.

Many times my recurring dream involves a passenger plane. The dream is very similar and I have had it for many years. The scene is simple and plays out in the backyard, whether that is an open field or the houses behind me. What is remarkable the dream knows if I live in the house and the back is an open field or if as the present live in a house and the backyard borders on neighborhood homes.

I am never on the plane but I witness the plane all broken up with fire and smoke and people escaping the tragic event. Always kind of the same. Sometimes there is a long time in between that dream and just when I think about it and want to rejoice it comes back.

Sleep is supposed to be a safe refuge — a place of calmness, relaxation, and the occasional no-consequences dream about invisibility cloaks. But nightmares change all that. Experiencing plane crash dreams, dreams about being the victim of a crime, or any other nightmare can not only make sleep stressful — it can make us feel on edge during our waking hours, too. 

I am never a victim of that plane crash, I just see it through my window like a movie. Now I love planes and the magic of transporting so many people all at once. I often in real life when I am in San Diego go near the airport parking garage and park on the top. This is a unique airport and the planes have to dive over the hill and then land. When you are standing there you can see the passengers in the window, you can see the pilot, you feel the breeze when it flys over. I love it. Like the picture below. 

This was a picture I took some years ago over San Diego

I suppose there are many interpretations of dreams and what to make of it I really don't know. I saw this suggestion, tell me what you think?

Dreaming of looking at a plane crash – If you dreamed of looking at a plane crash, that dream is not a good sign. It often indicates your inability to finish something you have planned. Maybe it indicates being in danger and warns you to be alert. It might also indicate the ending occurring in some areas of your life. Often this dream is a sign of unrealistic goals and dreams. Maybe it indicates doubting yourself and your abilities to accomplish your goals and desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment