Saturday, January 6, 2024

Papperlapapp

 Seriously I wonder who comes up with those surnames (last names) in Second Life? 

To me that all sounds like Papperlapapp which is the German translation for rubbish or total nonsense. Even the names before that were nothing that I would ever pick. 

I know Linden Lab lets you suggest a name as well, but all of this comes with a cost. Yes, nothing is free, even in Second Life.

I often ask myself why people or should I say residents want to change their names? 
Although this is Second Life, the people in front of the screen psychologically still use the power of a name as a way to reflect their self-image.

Social identity: Who you are based on your membership in social groups, such as sports teams, religions, political parties, or social class, and here in Second Life all come into play in the self-image.

Self-concept develops, in part, through our interaction with others. In addition to family members and close friends, other people in our lives can contribute to our self-identity. So keep some good people around you, who build you up and accept you regardless of your name. That is all "dummes Zeug" and won't bring you any more friends. 

I am not saying that you should not buy one of those surnames, by all means, if that is what brings you self-indulgence, then do it. Happiness comes from within. Do what makes you happy. The hobbies or passions that are important to your sense of identity influence your understanding of yourself. This can be your avatar and the name you have chosen for yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment