Sunday, May 5, 2024

When life is painful

 The last week I have been in so much pain, almost too painful to go log into Second Life with my friends and also imaginary friends.

And no, the pain is not any kind of heartache you often get in Second Life when you get too involved with people. This pain is physical. I am amazed by people who are in their 70s and they log into Second Life. When you were a teenager and let's just say the internet was already invented, could you imagine your grandparents giggling with others their age in a 3D world? Probably not! This happens, people get older and older in second life and of course, this platform turns 21 in June.

I don't have a laptop where I can log into SL in bed, which can be good and bad. I needed the rest after sitting for hours on a plane. You know you do not get any rest there.

Controlling your avatar and keeping things going takes lots of energy that people who have never been in Second Life cannot understand. This is not a bad thing, because, for the older generation, these kind of actions keeps us all young. I have gratitude that I can log on when the physical pain is not too overwhelming, but even if I can escape for an hour or so, it contributes to the healing process.

I have to give credit to a friend of mine in Second Life who met this guy and they really hit it off and were even planning a wedding right here at the Retreat. On the day we were going to discuss the details of this event, he was a no-show. The next day I found out he disappeared from Second Life and deleted that account. He may be around with a new name or an older name. Yes, she was heartbroken, but that pain did not stop her from coming back. So she is doing what she always does and goes dancing, and chats with friends. She is way into her 70s.

In the meantime when the real world feels upside down, just know you are just a click away to hopefully feel better for a little bit.


"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Buddhist Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment