Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Creating something new from the old memories


I finally created my cabin in the woods. In Germany, I lived across the street from the forest and that became my playground. As kids we were carefree and we explored that forest. I knew every corner and discovered many animals as well. Now I have this here in Second Life. Something new from the old memories of childhood. 
Many legends and fairytales came right from the German forests. 

There are loads of Black Forest Germany myths. They can involve wizards, fairies, and all kinds of fantastical creatures. They have also frightened nearby residents and visitors for countless years. Here in Second Life, I can create my own story. I am hoping to create something for the Fall and Halloween that will include a hunt and maybe you will see little red riding hood or her famous grandmother.

I hope you will stop by often to see the progress in action. If you have any ideas or want to donate some creatures, just contact me inworld. 
On one hand, the forest is a site of threats, the precinct of monsters the wolf waiting for Red Riding Hood, the witch for Hansel and Gretel, and the briars covering Sleeping Beauty’s castle but it’s also a place where abandoned children can take refuge. The allure of danger was something attractive to us kids in the "good ole day", and I often played and pretended with friends that the bad wolf would get us. As we got older we played german soldiers hiding from the enemy, especially since the American base was right at the edge of the forest. 

It is important to preserve our forests around the world. They are ever so changing as the earth faces climate changes. 
Climate change is our collective moral test, the physical manifestation of our sins of gluttony, sloth, greed, selfishness, consumerism, and unchecked industrialism. We have entered the threshold of a forest filled with lush, healthy greenery and teeming with diverse wildlife. The question is, will there be any woods left by the end of the story, or have we run out of places to hide?
Come visit me in the Forest at the Retreat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment