Saturday, October 8, 2022

What brings people to virtual worlds?

 

Dear Mr. Rosedale,

I believe what brings people to virtual worlds is not only other people. Sometimes we like to escape people and the virtual world may just be the place for that. I enjoy the solitude of the busy real world and I can log into Second Life and create. 

I also enjoy the creativity that sometimes is not possible in the real world. The virtual worlds are so much more than just connecting people from all over the planet. It is an amazing thing. The virtual world does not need any specific goals.

“Second Life doesn’t open itself up to you … It presents you with a world, and it lets you to your own devices.” 

I always liked that quote because in Second Life I can do what I cannot do in real life without people at times. I do not need to answer them, I can block them. Of course, as people we seek other people, that is part of the human instinct we are born with.

I think the question should be rather than what brings people here, but what they do here. That answer is simple, anything you can think of doing is almost always possible in Second Life and that can happen with or without people.

The virtual world can be healing, entertaining, cheap or costly (you decide), fun, educational and so much more. It wasn't the people that brought me here, but the ability to create something that is mine. 
And I did :)



No comments:

Post a Comment