Sunday, March 31, 2019

idiomatic expression

"That's it, I am putting my foot down."
Putting your foot down in German literally means to put your foot down on something or someone compared to the American English that refers to refuse very firmly to do or accept something. In the British way of saying it, this would mean to drive faster as you are putting your foot down.

I have read that some new trend words in the English language include gaslighting, which means to manipulate someone psychologically so that they begin to question their own perceptions and memories. I could swear that people at work gaslight me to make me believe that I can complete paperwork in half of the time that is normal or even physically possible.


"what a dench dude"
English speakers seem to have an endless fascination for inventing expressions of approval. This time we're in shiny, brand-spanking new word territory (cue drum roll, this happens very rarely) with the arrival of dench. So instead of saying he is so cool or nice, I could now say he is extremely dench. ( he actually is, trust me on that).
It's perhaps doubtful that dench would have succeeded as a new coinage were it not for the fact that it happens to be identical to the surname of Dame Judi Dench, a world-famous British actress latterly associated with the James Bond movies (in which she played 'M', head of the intelligence service). Dame Judi has herself been a very enthusiastic supporter of the word, honored and delighted that her surname is being used as a trendy new adjective. Though this is coincidental rather than deliberate, the actress's positive reaction (and perhaps also the fact that she is recognized the world over as a highly respected and successful individual) has sparked tongue-in-cheek modifications of usage along the lines of That was well Judi dench … or even … That's well Judi.


"what an amazeball adventure"
I guess when something is better than amazing it is called amazeballs. Really? Who thinks those words up? Though English is a language rich in synonymy and has a whole raft of adjectives designed to show enthusiastic approval of something – think amazingfabulousfantasticgorgeouslovelywonderfulbreathtakingsensationalphenomenal … and that's only just the tip of the iceberg – it seems there's a perpetual desire to come up with something catchy and new, and one of the most recent kids on the block is this rather bizarre adaptation of the adjective amazing into amazeballs.

It all reminds me when I took my first art class in college and my final project was described as "wow that is bad". I cried going home really believing that my painting was bad. Of course, it meant good, but hey give this German girl a break. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Oh yes, in German we do have many ways of saying things as well but really would I just "um den heißen Brei herumreden"?

No comments:

Post a Comment