Saturday, April 13, 2019

Laugh 'til it hurts

"I can't stop laughing, my stomach hurts"
Laughter is regularly promoted as a source of health and well being, but it has been hard to pin down exactly why laughing until it hurts feels so good. Is it the uncontrollable silliness one feels when laughing out loud of some weird stuff? Is it the stomach tumbling and mixing of food that helps with digestion? All I know it feels great when laughing 'til it hurts. And really, it is not the kind of pain you would have if you cried all day.


He tickled me
I have a tendency to suddenly burst out laughing when I drive home from work or even worse when I am in a staff meeting and I look at someone and they trigger my laughing. I really don't see anything wrong with it since doctors say laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease. Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body's natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
So go for it...laugh, laugh...oh I did look up PBA (PseudoBulbar Affect), a condition that causes sudden, frequent, uncontrollable episodes of crying and/or laughing that are exaggerated and/or don’t match how you feel. 
Don't even go there...laughter is still the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment