Saturday, May 16, 2020

Being Thirsted Over

To have an intense desire, yearning, or need for something. Even from a young age, he thirsted after knowledge, devouring any he could get his hands on. Growing up in such a small, secluded town, I constantly thirsted after romance and adventure.

Being thirsted over is one of those terms me as a German takes this literal and I honestly thought why are people saying this? I understood it as thirst= The desire to drink, and over= At an end: So my meaning of thirsted over would be I had too much to drink. What? 


Imagine someone who is learning English and how they would translate that. Let me know in the comments what you think.

I could say in German: ich gönn' mir 'nen Lütten, but that would not translate well either, and besides as I am learning this being thirsted over has nothing to do with drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment